RUSH: Dadelut dadelut dadelut dadelut dadelut! Yes, it’s time for an update, ladies and gentlemen, and it’s global warming time. We’re going to use the Algore “Ball of Fire” theme for this one since he’s in the news.
(Global Warming Update Theme: “Ball of Fire” Parody Song)
RUSH: EIB and the Rush Limbaugh Program.
(Continued playing of song.)
RUSH: Our buddy Paul Shanklin as Algore and “Ball of Fire.” From the Washington Post today: “Al Gore’s next gig: concert promoter.” You probably heard about this, a series of concerts that will “dwarf” Live Aid and other such things. “Using popular music to bring attention to his pet issue of global climate change, the former vice president is planning a single-day series of concerts modeled after Live 8. Gore is scheduled to announce the concerts today in Los Angeles. He’s expected to be joined there by rock stars Jon Bon Jovi and Sting, rap musician Pharrell Williams and media executive Kevin Wall, who served as worldwide executive producer for Live 8, the 2005 concerts that drew attention to African debt relief.” But did they solve it? Did they make a dent in it? No they didn’t. It was just a bunch of liberals getting together taking your money, trying to show you how good their hearts and intentions are. Did they accomplish anything? Diddly-squat! Now, by the way, when is Algore going to do these concerts?
Let’s see. Ohhhh.
“The Gore promoted event will be held July 7th.” July 7th! Why, it will actually be hot on July 7th, so they’ll be able to say it’s global warming! In the meantime, ladies and gentlemen: “Snow fell on Nepal’s capital, Kathmandu, for the first time in 63 years on Wednesday, stirring excitement and curiosity among residents and their children. ‘I have never seen it snow in Kathmandu in all my life,’ said 45-year-old housewife Manju Shrestha, playing in the snow with her young children. Weather officials said the brief snowfall, which lasted only a few minutes, was the result of a ‘westerly disturbance’ over Nepal that earlier in the week caused heavy rains.” Then there’s a piece — just trying to put all this in perspective for you — by Kevin Myatt writing in the Roanoke Times:
“We May Be Living in Cold, Historic Times — For the second consecutive Tuesday, I am writing a column for Wednesday’s newspaper as a potential winter storm is approaching Southwest Virginia…. It might surprise you that this run of cold has a chance of being something historic. Through Monday, Roanoke’s average temperature for February was 29.2 degrees. If the month had ended Monday, this would be the coldest February on record at Roanoke, edging out the only other two Februarys with an average temperature below 30 degrees — February 1978 (29.5 degrees) and February 1979 (29.3 degrees)…. All but one of the first 12 days of this month have averaged below normal in temperature…. The storm system moving through now will whip northwest winds on us the next few days, bringing a new blast of Arctic air. This will last into the weekend, with some nights of very low temperatures and days with highs struggling to reach the 30s.
“So we will be nearly two-thirds through the month by early next week with temperatures quite likely still averaging below 30 for the month. The Arctic pattern is likely to relax next week, but even average cold would keep us within striking distance of a record cold month,” and then my old buddy Bob Tyrrell at the American Spectator. He says: “Global Warming is Our Friend — I am sitting here in our nation’s capital freezing. In California, the citrus crop is near ruin. The plains states look like Antarctica, and from the Midwest to the Atlantic coast snow and ice are everywhere. The logical conclusion is that rather than debate the possibility of global warming we should be applauding it and doing everything we can to usher it in. Most scientists agree that the planet is today about one degree Celsius warmer than it was a century ago, but so what? In North America winters are still miserable, and frankly even in border-state climes such as Washington it can remain chilly right up to mid-May….
“Thus, we might all ask why the opponents of global warming are so hysterical. Basically they are led by the same environmentalists who have been so wrong in the past, and they are always hysterical. In the 1970s they predicted a coming global ice age and overpopulation that would give us all claustrophobia by the end of the twentieth century. They predicted a depletion of resources that would lead to global recession.” What’s to fear with global warming when we have weather like we have now? Why is global warming a disaster? It’s a brilliant question that Mr. Tyrrell asks, one that we have asked on this program countless times before. What is the destruction in warming? But more than that, in the midst of all this documented record cold, where are the media stories questioning the so-called science of global warming?
In fact, let me find something here. “Writing in the Sunday Times…” This is a Boston Globe story. “Writing in The Sunday Times of London this week, Nigel Calder, former editor of New Scientist magazine, suggested that [this UN commission’s] main conclusion ? that there is more than a 90 percent certainty that humans are contributing to global warming ? meant there was a 10 percent chance that man was blameless. Calder called this ‘a wide-open breach for any latter-day Galileo or Einstein to storm through with a better idea. That is how science really works.'” Folks, if the IPCC itself is saying there’s a 90% chance. There’s not science! If there’s a 90% chance man is causing the globe to warm, there’s no science there, just consensus. Science doesn’t deal in 90 percents! Science is or isn’t present.